Wednesday 31 October 2012

6 weeks on.

6 weeks ago today I was sitting on the settee, propped up with pillows, feeling quite sorry for myself after surgery a few hours ago. 

Now, there is no pain unless I press on the muscle. I am getting used to the feel of the unit under my skin, even though it feels as if it is very close to the surface and I have also got the full movement back in my left arm. I still can't raise my arm straight above my head, but it's getting there. I do gentle stretching exercises each day and can feel improvement all the time. I still can't wear the left strap of my bra on my shoulder as it catches on the end of my scar which is healing slower than the rest. It's a bit lumpy and still a little discoloured but still looking clean and not showing any signs of infection.

At the weekend I started to make inroads in the house cleaning, which was really starting to bug me. 6 weeks without only the bare basics of cleaning being done meant there was a lot that was waiting to be tackled. The bathrooms have been totally cleaned and disinfected, the living rooms have been vacuumed and dusted to within a few millimeters of the skirting boards and the kitchen is still recovering from the shock of so much mopping and wiping.

It feels good to be back in charge of cleaning.

This weekend, weather permitting, I'm tackling the outside. The greenhouse needs clearing and cleaning down for winter, so that I can plant up the vegetables, seeds and bulbs ready for spring.

I still haven't started any exercise regime, not sure what I am allowed to do until I speak with the doctor in 4 weeks, so I'm having to rely on dog walking and smaller portions of food to keep my weight from creeping up. My cholesterol is still a high priority and losing weight is one way to increase my low good cholesterol count.

6 weeks ago, I really would  not have believed I would be doing so much by now.


No comments:

Post a Comment