Thursday 11 October 2012

Day 1

After a couple of hours on the ward, the consultant came to check the wound, and happy that there was no excessive swelling, leakage or undue pain he gave me the ok to go home. Neil gathered my belongings and less than 3 hours after I was in the operating theatre I was on my way home. 

I was grateful that the dogs had gone to my brothers for a few days, I knew I wouldn't be able to cope with their excitement at me being home, but the house still felt very empty when we opened the door. 

Neil got me settled on the settee with all my pillows and went to get the quilt. I had already taken some painkillers at the hospital and had been sent home with a pack of antibiotics which I needed to take every 4 hours, some clean dressings and a sheet of paper telling me how to look after myself for the next few days. I had an appointment at the cardio-respiratory clinic in 2 days to have a check that everything was working ok. In the meantime, I needed to rest and let the healing start.

Today, everything hurt. I found it uncomfortable to lay down, sitting was the most comfortable position, with my v-pillow supporting my left side and another pillow on my lap to rest my left arm on. Finally, the diazapan seemed to work and I slept. 

We decided I would sleep downstairs tonight, Neil would stay with me incase I needed anything. We had decided I would take painkillers regularly for the first couple of days and I was taking paracetamol and ibuprofen on alternating 2 hour intervals. It kept the pain under control and I managed to sleep reasonably well, glad that the worse was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment