Sunday 14 October 2012

Day 9 - Time to ring the hospital aftercare

Because of all the different sensations, pin pricking feelings etc I rang the hospital to see if it was normal. They confirmed it's all part of the healing process although if they continue at current levels in a few days to ring again and maybe go in for a check up. I felt much calmer after speaking to them. I told them I was worried about my arm doing things when I was asleep. She told me it's ok as long as there no sudden movements, no lifting or pushing, no lifting above shoulder but that there is a lot of extra cable so displacement is rare, although possible.

Had spent the day at Clumber, and tried using my brother's camera but as soon as I took it in my left hand I knew I couldn't take the weight, it pulled on my left side and passed the camera straight back before I did any damage to myself or the camera.

I had a lovely day wandering around Clumber with my brother, especially around the kitchen gardens which were still full of the most spectacular dahlias in every colour possible. I have found that just having my arm hang from my shoulder as I walk around makes it uncomfortable so I solve this by wearing my fleece and keeping my hand in my pocket. This takes the weight away from my shoulder and makes it so much more comfortable.

I'm still finding it difficult sleeping at night although have now been back in my own bed for a couple of nights. I still find I am most comfortable on the settee downstairs and if I struggle to sleep I soon get up, taking care not to push myself up with my left arm. In the first few days I found it very difficult getting up from the settee or the bed only using my right arm but I've got used to it now. 

I think I'm doing OK.


2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    so strange I mis typed my blog and stumbled upon yours. So strange to read another blog like mine and see you describe the same things that I also experienced just yours are more recent. I'm 32 and also have a Pacemaker been doing a blog on the whole thing also, you could come take a read if you like

    http://www.pacemakerdiary.blogspot.co.uk/

    I will continue to read yours now :-)
    Jason P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason, thank you for taking time to read my blog, it's almost 4 weeks since my surgery now and everything feels very strange but I am getting used to it a little each day. I will certainly pop over and take a look at your blog soon.

    ReplyDelete