Sunday 14 October 2012

Day 5 - Back to Work

It was always my target to return to work the Monday after the operation. My logical thought process was this:

1. I would be sitting at home using my laptop, so I would be able to sit at my desk and use the computer. I am fortunate that the largest part of my work id desk based either inputting data and creating reports, or on the phone.

2. If I was technically able to drive after a week, I could surely be able to work at my desk after 5 days.

3. I would just do half a day so as not to over-tire my shoulder and rest for the afternoon. Fortunately, my manager was happy for me to do a phased return to work.

So, the first challenge was getting ready for work in time to get to work at my normal start time. I calculated we would need an extra 30 minutes for Neil to wash & dry my hair on top of our usual routine and I'd set the alarm accordingly. We found the timing was a little generous and we had time to sit and enjoy a coffee together before Neil dropped me off at the office.

The first job each day is to check the data on the computer for any errors. It is generally clear, but not this morning. It threw an error which meant I spent the next hour on the phone to our support company fixing the error. I have always used the phone to my left ear, held in my left hand so I can write any instructions of use my right hand to key in anything needed as I type quicker with my right hand. Today I found holding the phone in my left hand for more than 5 minutes was hard. I was constantly switching hands, putting the phone down on the desk while processes were running, anything to ease the time holding the phone. It didn't cause me any pain, but it was uncomfortable.

The rest of the morning went smoothly and my colleagues were helpful and supportive, as they have been throughout.

After 3 and a half hours I was ready to finish, my shoulder was aching but not sore but I did feel I needed to rest. Once home I settled on the settee with my trusty V-pillow, which has been so essential over the last few days.

It had felt good to get back to work, a bit of normality and because I don't look ill and people can't see the scar or any sign of the operation, after the surprise of seeing me soon after surgery people just treated me as they always had. Today was a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment