Friday 12 October 2012

Day 3 - Best way to do my hair

Ever since I was told that after the pacemaker was implanted I would not be able to raise my left arm arm above my shoulder I knew my hair was going to be a problem. My hair needs washing every day, it's so fine if it's not it looks as if it hasn't been touched for a week.

Neil had practiced combing it through and drying it before the procedure but at that time I wasn't having to protect a painful and delicate shoulder. We decided to try with me kneeling at the side of the bath with a pillow between the bath and my shoulder. We could then use the shower head over the bath to wash the shampoo away. It worked well for me but it pulled on Neil's lower back, which is prone to problems, tomorrow we would try at the sink, which is higher.

I did feel as if I was being drowned as the water flowed across my face, but at least I had clean hair for the first time in 3 days.

Since I started working on reducing my cholesterol levels and cut down the amount of saturated fat in my food (I refuse to use the word diet) my hair has changed significantly, even my hairdresser was surprised, it gets very knotty when wet, especially close to the scalp. It takes a lot of gentle combing through and is time consuming for me, so I knew Neil would struggle.

Eventually, it was all combed through and he got the hairdryer out. I told him not to worry about using a brush to try and curl the ends under, just to rough dry it and comb it through again.

It was a small thing but hugely important to me. Over the next couple of days we got the time it took down to 20 minutes and it meant we would have time before work, so I could leave the house feeling as if I'd made a bit of an effort.

It felt like we'd made a big step forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment