Tuesday 16 October 2012

2 weeks on - Finally back behind the wheel.

From the time I was diagnosed with 2nd degree AV block I had been unable to drive on medical grounds. It was so difficult losing my independence, to lose the ability to jump on the car and nip to the shops, to load the dogs in the back of the car and drive to the woods. It was probably one of the most difficult parts of dealing with the wait for my implant date.

Since the implant, I have not felt capable of driving, even though technically I could have driven after 1 week. I certainly didn't feel capable of having my left arm stretched out to the steering wheel, for any period of time.

I had notified the DVLA and my insurance company of my pacemaker, in preparation of driving again, a requirement that I had been told about by the hospital. Now, 2 weeks on, I felt ready to get behind the wheel again. I asked Neil to come with me so that, should I feel uncomfortable, he could drive home and I used the need to have somewhere to drive to as an excuse to go for a KFC. I found driving very comfortable and the reward of a KFC seemed appropriate for my regained independence.

I felt life was finally getting back to normal. I was back at work, I was driving again - all within 2 weeks. 

I was still having some very odd sensations inside as the site of the operation knitted together, healing slower on the inside than the external scar. I kept a close watch on my scar for signs of infection but it all seemed clean and using the antiseptic spray twice daily certainly seemed to be helping.

Next big step is my next check up. The countdown was marked on the calendar and we were crossing the days off. Already, there are a lot of crosses on the page.

Roll on November 5th.

No comments:

Post a Comment