Sunday 14 October 2012

Day 7 - One week on.

Today is a week since the operation. I know it's termed a procedure, but to me it will always be an operation!

Technically, today is the first day I can drive again but I don't feel anyway ready to get behind the wheel. I don't feel confident enough to stretch my arm out as I would need to. While I am trying to move my shoulder to avoid getting a frozen shoulder, it certainly isn't a full extension by any means.

But, today is also the first day I can get my wound wet. Although I could shower from day 3, I had to keep the wound area dry because I have dissolvable stitches and we don't want them dissolving too soon. So I had chosen not to shower until the first week was over. I'm lucky to have 2 showers to choose from. The one I normally use is over the bath and I was worried if I stumbled getting in or out my instinct would be to use my arms to stop me from falling, which could put pressure on my shoulder and which I am not to do for 6 weeks. So today, I chose to use the walk-in shower. I had checked whether it was ok to get soap on the wound and was advised not to until the scar is looking better healed, so I draped a clean flannel over the top which would allow me to stand under the shower but prevent any shower gel or shampoo from getting direct contact with the wound.

I was even able to wash my own hair for the first time in a week. It was a few moments before I worked out how to get the shampoo out of the bottle, onto my right hand, put the bottle down and rub the shampoo onto my hair without too much involvement from my left hand and without all the shampoo rinsing off my hand before it got to my scalp, but soon enough I had it mastered. I stood under the falling water for several minutes, thoroughly enjoying the feeling. I felt I had made progress, I could get washed without help. That feeling stopped as soon as I turned the shower off. I needed help to get dried and to wrap a towel around my hair. Hey, ho - one small step at a time.

The rest of the day was a repeat of yesterday. I spent the morning at work without any complications. Neil came to pick me up and take me for lunch before doing some grocery shopping and then, once home I rested in the afternoon before my brother arrived for his visit. 

Still no need for painkillers, I even got involved in preparing dinner by cooking the potatoes. I do hate the feeling of being so dependant on others to do everything for me. Another 6 weeks to my appointment to get the all clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment