Monday 12 November 2012

Medical Alert Bracelet or Medical Alert Watch Tag?

As the heart condition I have was only found after an accident in my car I have been very aware that should I be involved in another accident, whether my fault or someone elses, it would be crucial that any medics attending should be aware I now have a pacemaker fitted, in case I am not able to tell them.

While I was sat at home recuperating I spent time on the internet looking the options. I considered a number of bracelets. I am unable to wear necklaces because of a problem with my neck. There were  number of websites that offer medical alert jewellery but a lot of it wasn't my style. I eventually decided on the SOS Talisman and order the gold plated bracelet. It came very quickly and, as well as the bracelet and info strip there was also a sticker for my car window, which I was quite pleased with. The screw on cover kept working loose and so I needed to check it each morning. Neil did offer to 'nip' it together for me but I was concerned in case we couldn't then open it as and when it was necessary.

After a week I returned to the office after going for my flu jab and discovered I had lost the cover to my bracelet. A bit frustrating. I could buy a replacement cover but it concerned me how easy it had been lost, and felt it would be a constant problem. I do carry it in my handbag, but can't wear it anymore!




Full details and styles can be seen on this website: http://www.sostalisman.co.uk/

So, back to the drawing board for an alternative. Neil came up with the idea that we should look for something to do with my watch, as I always wear it and we found a company in America that did metal tabs that attach to your watch strap and were a fraction of the price of the bracelet I'd bought, even including the postage. And this is what it looks like:



You get a gold coloured and a silver coloured tab in each pack along with an identity card to carry in your purse/wallet which has all your personal details and details of your condition, and has the universal medical alert logo. They are made of a special metal alloy which is non-allergenic. Neil put it on my watch strap in seconds as it just moulds around the strap and will fit metal, leather and fabric straps and when I wear my watch I am completely unaware that it's there. I don't have to worry about losing it and know if I am in an accident or taken ill the medical staff will know to look for my ID card.

It gives me a little extra peace of mind.

2 comments:

  1. Were did you get the tab for the watch band?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got it from this company in America

    http://www.id-technology.com/

    They were very prompt in sending them, and I have been very impressed. I've had it 9 months now and there are no visible scratches, peeling or discolouration and I've had no reaction on my skin from it.

    ReplyDelete